Removable Partial Dentures
and restore facial structure.
Fill in gaps, enhance your smile,
and restore facial structure.
A denture or a complete denture as it is often called, is an appliance that is inserted in the mouth, replaces natural teeth and provides support for the cheeks and lips. Call us at 781-848-0292 to schedule your appointment today.
Most dentures are made of acrylic and can be fabricated two different ways.
- A conventional denture is made after all teeth have been extracted and the tissues (gums) have healed.
- An immediate denture is fabricated and inserted immediately after the teeth are extracted and the tissues are allowed to heal under the denture.
- An upper denture has acrylic, usually flesh colored, that covers the palate (roof of the mouth).
- A lower denture is shaped like a horseshoe to leave room for the tongue.
The teeth are made of plastic, porcelain or a combination thereof. Dentures can be fabricated to fit over endodontically treated teeth and a complete denture can be attached to dental implants to allow for a more secure fit of the appliance.
Dentures over a normal course of time will wear and need to be replaced or relined in order to keep the jaw alignment normal. The alignment will slowly change as the bone and gum ridges recede or shrink due to the extraction of the teeth. Regular examinations and maintenance are still important for the denture wearer so that the oral tissues can be checked for disease or change.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted via phone/text/email.* Reply “Stop” to opt out.
Partial Denture Types and Materials
Partial dentures are created out of a metal and acrylic composition or completely out of acrylic. A patient’s specific needs and anatomy dictate the design of the partial denture and every effort is made to construct a self-cleansing partial denture that preserves the remaining teeth and oral tissues.
Dr. Cheng, DDS will design your partial denture so that the chewing forces are evenly distributed over the entire surface are of the remaining teeth and soft tissues. Changes to your remaining teeth may be recommended to help equalize these forces.
Metal partials are generally preferred as they are structurally superior. They are thinner and more hygienic than an acrylic partial. Acrylic partials are typically used as a transitional or temporary partial. Dr. Cheng, DDS will consult with you to determine the appropriate partial for your situation.
Benefits of Partial Dentures
Advice and tips on caring for your dentures
- Only your dental professional is qualified to diagnose your oral health and adjust your denture or partial denture.
- Dentures should be brushed inside and outside daily with a soft, large nylon denture tooth brush with round-ended bristles.
- Use denture creams instead of toothpastes, which are too abrasive and will scratch your denture. Rinse with cold water.
- Dentures warp if placed in hot water.
- Inspect your denture regularly for worn teeth.
- Worn and stained dentures can make you look older and cause your dentures to function poorly.
- Discuss all your current medications with your doctor and dental professional.
- Be sure to visit your dental professional regularly.
- Have loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction and pressure on the gum tissues and bones.
- When not in use, cover dentures with water or a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out.
- Most dental insurance policies provide coverage for new dentures every 5 years.
Denture Exams & Maintenance
Your dentures are an investment and require care and attention to maintain their optimum performance. The fit of your dentures will have a profound affect on your oral tissues and health. An annual examination by Dr. Cheng, DDS will help ensure your denture is functioning properly
Medical and dental history
Tissue and bone
Tissue and bone
Bite problems, speech impediments and tissue irritations can be caused by an ill-fitting denture and should be remedied. Leaving this condition unchecked can lead to complicated situations in the future. Dr. Cheng, DDS can assess your dentures for cracks, chips, and broken or loose teeth and suggest solutions.
Overview of exam
- Update of Medical and dental history chart
- An examination of your oral cavity
- Tissue and bone assessment
- Denture stability and bite examination
- Cleaning and polishing of your denture
- Oral hygiene review
Kind words from our patients
I had an excellent experience at South Shore Smiles. Dr. Cheng and her assistant provided me with incredible reassurance throughout my appointment. Not only did they fill my cavity efficiently, but I also experienced zero pain during the procedure. I truly appreciate their expertise and care, making my visit comfortable and stress-free. As someone who is notoriously picky about choosing a dentist, I am incredibly thankful to have found a provider that I trust and comfortable with! Highly recommend!
A very pleasant experience. It started with a wonderful reception from Mary at the front desk. My dental assistant Adella was very knowledgeable of my procedure and took the time to make sure I understood everything. Dr. Cheng was a spectacular final touch on my visit. The office environment is tastefully decorated and very welcoming.
South Shore Smiles is a welcoming, relaxing office with a great team! Close to the Braintree exit of Route 3, it is convenient and easy to find. Dr. Cheng is warm, professional, and makes sure you understand your treatment plan and preventative maintenance recommendations. The whole team is kind and friendly. If you are looking for an honest, patient-centered dentist, you have found one here!
Hating going to the dentist is a thing of the past! The staff here could not be any kinder and more personable. Very cute office space too! I got my Invisalign done by Dr. Cheng two years ago and the difference in my smile is like night and day. I got my teeth cleaned by Christine yesterday as well and and she was a pleasure to chat with (along with the two ladies working in reception, so sorry but I did not catch their names!) I would recommend going here to absolutely anyone, only dentist’s office I will go to for the rest of my life.
Our experience with South Shore Smiles and Dr. Cheng has been nothing but positive. Her staff is friendly, kind and knowledgeable. Dr. Cheng is very friendly and makes you feel very comfortable with what she is doing. I would highly recommend South Shore Smiles.